10.31.2009

Words on the Street

I recently watched Slumdog Millionaire with my mom and sister, and much to their surprise and bemusement, when the movie was over, I burst into tears. When they asked me why I was crying, I couldn't explain it. I felt ridiculous.

The film starts with a multiple-choice question: “In Mumbai 2006, Jamal Malik is one question away from winning 20 million rupees. How did he do it? (a) He cheated. (b) He’s lucky. (c) He’s a genius. (d) It is written.”

I wasn't crying because I enjoyed the movie - I didn't. (I have a low tolerance for violence in my entertainment.) And it wasn't the love story that got to me, with it's choreographed, dance party resolution (although admittedly that was my favorite part.) What really, really struck me, were the simple, white-on-black words on the screen – the answer to the opening question: "It is written."

Those three little words seemed huge. They encapsulated the idea of destiny, of struggle and redemption, of biblical importance. If that tiny sentence had not been at the conclusion of the movie, I would not have been blubbering into my popcorn. That is the power of words.

I especially love the random words of people, sometimes in unexpected places, expressed through graffiti, flyers or signs. With my cell phone camera (and sometimes my Nikon) I try to capture the occasional phrase, warning, exclamation or opinion. Here are some samples from this growing collection:






To see the entire set, go here.

6 comments:

Sam said...

I love this. My take is slightly different. The art I really have an appreciation for is the kind that is temporary and fleeting. These little bits of wisdom (questionable term I know) really make my day. Because who knows what could be there tomorrow.

Rachel said...

Wow, I love those! Especially, "God is away on bizness." And they really are fleeting bits of wisdom.

Kayla said...

I think this intersects nicely with the fleeting written word of the blog, twitter, email..the whole deal. I may need to sit down and write someone a letter:)

Anonymous said...

It seems excellent idea to me is

Paulo Tennis said...

Hi, I like your blog. Keep going!

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!